To Avoid Fire At Home every member must practice safe habits. It is very dreadful to imagine a home on fire. HOME is the place where we create our self and our own world.
“STAY AT HOME, STAY SAFE”
This slogan is flashing everywhere all over the world. In recent conditions, everyone accepts that only home is the safest and sound place to fight against COVID- 19 Pandemic. From early childhood, our first lesson is “Our Home Is A Place That Protect Us From All Disasters” and we experience this, at every step of life. Hence “WE OWE GREATLY TO PROTECT OUR HOMES”
GENERAL MEASURES TO AVOID FIRE AT HOME
- Installation of Fire and Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguishers in each room or at least in prominent rooms is the best defense policy.
- Fire and smoke detectors catch the problem before the actual hazards.
- Everyone should know how to use the Fire Extinguisher. These must be checked once a month and replaced every 10 years. The sound of an alarm should reach every room.
- Check out High Power Appliances like washing machines, microwave oven, air conditioner, water heaters, space heater, etc. annually by professionals. These can overheat if not cleared out properly.
- Many of the fire hazards are caused due to short circuits of faulty wiring. Torn insulation, frayed wires, or damaged cords are able to create sparks and nearby flammables might catch fire.
- Frequent flickering of light or intermittent power surges indicates the risk of sparking.
- Use of Extension Cord for high power appliances or overloading too many appliances to a circuit is also a risk factor for the ignition of the fire.
MEASURES TO AVOID FIRE AT HOME IN VARIOUS AREAS
- According to NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency), more than half of house fires start in the kitchen. It is the place where so many appliances are used. Regular check-ups are mandatory for those in the Kitchen.
- Stoves and Gas cylinders are most hazardous in a kitchen. Check gas cylinders and regulators to prevent leakage.
- Never leave the kitchen unattended while cooking is in progress.
- Don’t switch off or switch on electric switches while changing the gas cylinder.
- Keep flammable liquids away from gas cylinders at the Kitchen.
2. DRAWING ROOM/ BEDROOM
- Fire Place and Space Heater are “Hot Spots” to cause a fire hazard. There should be a glass door or spark screen between flames and floor to prevent jumping embers.
- Dispose off the ash from the fireplace in the metal container, before that make a sure-fire in the ash is completely extinguished.
- Space Heater emits highly combustible Carbon Monoxide gas. It is difficult to detect being a colorless, odorless gas. So, the installation of a Carbon Monoxide detector alarm is recommended.
- Take care that flammables like curtains, fabrics, beds, draperies must be at least 3 feet away from the fireplace or space heater.
- Avoid the spreading of electric cords under carpet or furniture.
- Cover Mattresses with a flame retardant mattress cover.
3) BATHROOMS/ TOILETS
- Geysers, Water Heater also emits Carbon Monoxide gas if kept on for a long or without water.
- Cleaners, Sanitizers, Cosmetics, Hair Spray, Shaving Cream might cause combustion when exposed at high temperatures.
- Lint collected in the dryer of the washing machine is flammable. Clean it regularly.
4) STORAGE ROOM
- Keep flammable liquids such as alcohol, paint, gasoline, kerosene in leakage proof, crack proof containers. Being highly combustible might cause an explosion because of the heat.
5) BACKYARD BARBECUE
- Stray embers from barbecue stove, it may give rise to fire if it is not placed several feet away from trees, deck or fencing, etc.
6) HOLIDAY DECORATIONS AND CELEBRATION
- A Christmas tree is highly combustible as it is dry. Decoration with low quality or damaged lights might ignite a fire. The blast of firecrackers in the vicinity of a home is one of the major reasons for a fire at home during the Diwali Festival.
- Surprisingly, kitchen/terrace gardening is also able to cause a fire. Some pesticides or fertilizers in extra amounts in pot soil catch fire at high temperatures.
PERSONAL PRACTICE OF SAFE HABITS TO AVOID FIRE AT HOME.
- Don’t smoke inside the home.
- Keep candles far away from flammables. Put out candles before exit or sleeping.
- Don’t leave the kitchen unattended when the stove or other appliances are on. Always put off the cylinder regulator after cooking is done.
- Don’t forget to unplug the iron, hair straightener, etc.
- Not to use an extension cord for high power appliances.
- Don’t overload the socket with many plugs.
- Keep children and pets away from risky heat and electrical appliances.
“A FEW SECONDS IS ALL FOR A FIRE TO BE A DISASTER”
To ensure the safety of your family and to avoid fire at home take simple precautions. Stay aware of fire safety measures & follow safety protocols.
In continuation to action join us for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit our website www.keneducation.in or call us on +917569034271